Water is essential to human life and well-being; it’s also important for productivity.
Dehydration can have a profound impact on cognitive functioning and mental health, including:
• Delayed reaction time
• Impaired mental and physical performance
• Reduced ability to focus for long periods of time
• Increased depression and anxiety
Some of the benefits of staying adequately hydrated include:
• Increased energy and focus
• Improved mood and reduced anxiety
• Hydrated cells, organs, and skin
• Effective detoxification
• Improved digestion
• Improved cardiovascular health
• Enhanced absorption of nutrients and oxygen
The National Academy of Medicine recommends a daily water intake of around 13, 8oz cups for men and 9 cups for women.
However, it’s also important to consider that water intake needs vary based on activity levels, weight, age, diet, and other individual factors.
6 Tips to Boost Your Hydration Throughout the Day
1. Invest in a reusable water bottle with fl/oz markers so you can track how much you drink.
Get into the habit of refilling it and taking it wherever you go.
2. Eat fruits and vegetables.
Cucumbers, celery, watermelon, and other juicy fruits are packed with fluids that increase your hydration.
3. Enjoy more soups.
Soups are jam-packed with nutrients and a great source of hydration.
4. Add flavor.
A squeeze of lemon juice or a flavored seltzer can make drinking water more appealing.
Alternatively, you can add fresh slices of citrus, berries, mint, or cucumber to your water to make a delicious infusion.
Lightly sweetened herbal teas are another great way to enjoy water.
5. Supplement your hydration.
Supplements containing minerals and electrolytes can help deepen hydration.
6. Create a habit of drinking fluids.
Make a conscious decision to include hydration in your well-being plan and get in the habit of tracking your daily water intake to ensure you’re meeting your health goals.
VitaliTeam Workplace Wellness provides solutions at the intersection of organizational health and individual wellbeing.
Learn more at www.dradeolamead.com/vitaliteam